Suffering an injury at work can be an overwhelming experience. It can leave you with many questions and concerns about your rights and next steps. This guide offers clear direction on what to do if you get injured at work, specifically under the regulations of Missouri law.
Immediate Steps After a Workplace Injury
1. Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Your health should always be your priority. Depending on the severity of the injury, this may involve calling an ambulance, visiting an emergency room, or scheduling an immediate appointment with a healthcare professional.
2. Report the Injury: Notify your supervisor about the incident as soon as possible. Under Missouri law, you are required to report the injury within 30 days to preserve your right to workers' compensation benefits.
3. Document Everything: Write down the details of the incident and your injury, including time, date, location, how it happened, and any witnesses. Also, keep a record of your medical appointments, treatments, and any expenses related to your injury.
Understanding Missouri Workers' Compensation Law
In Missouri, employers are required to carry workers' compensation insurance for their employees. This insurance covers medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and a portion of lost wages if you're unable to work due to the injury.
To make a workers' compensation claim in Missouri, you will need to:
1. File a Claim: Submit a formal claim to your employer's workers' compensation insurance provider. This typically involves completing specific forms and providing necessary documentation about your injury.
2. Cooperate with the Investigation: The insurance company will likely conduct an investigation to confirm the details of your injury and determine eligibility for benefits.
3. Follow the Treatment Plan: Adhere to the prescribed medical treatment plan and attend all medical appointments. Non-compliance could affect your claim.
The Role of a Missouri Workers' Compensation Attorney
Navigating the workers' compensation process can be complex. An experienced Missouri workers' compensation attorney can guide you through the process, ensure your rights are protected, and advocate on your behalf if your claim is denied.
In conclusion, if you're injured at work, taking swift action and understanding your rights under Missouri law are crucial. Partnering with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in your journey towards recovery and compensation.